This module looked at the other major component of The Access to Information
and Protection of Privacy Act: the public's right to access government records.
In this module you learned:
- That individuals have the right to access government records, subject to
- That while government must provide access, certain information may be or
must be severed before the record is provided
- That the Information and Privacy Commissioner can make recommendations
after reviewing a government decision regarding an access request
- That a formal ATIPP access request is not necessary for an individual to
be given information or records of government
- That personal information must still be protected
It's Everybody's Responsibility
It is particularly important to remember that all government
employees - including you - are involved in ensuring protection of
personal information in government.