Office of the Chief Medical Examiner
The responsibilities of the Chief Medical Examiner include:
- the operation of the Fatalities Investigation Act in relation to the reporting, investigating and recording of deaths;
- the appointment of physicians as medical examiners and the supervision of the performance of their duties;
- the appointment of medical investigators;
- the appointment of an Acting Chief Medical Examiner who may act in the place of the Chief Medical Examiner;
- the development and maintenance of faculties that may be required for the purpose of Fatalities Investigation Act; and
- the education of persons required to perform functions under the Fatalities Investigation Act.